Friday, December 6, 2013

One Day at a Time

This past week was a little more difficult.  Thanksgiving Day certainly was different than any other holiday observance.  There were a few visitors and phone calls, but mostly, the day was quiet - quieter than usual since several of the residents were gone to be with their families.

The fact that it was a holiday week gave place to thinking about all of the changes that have occurred this year -- and those yet to come.

Of course, Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the 'Holiday Season'.  That, in itself, is hard to process.  I can't make plans.  At this stage of life, there isn't even a small degree of what can be 'reasonably expected'.  The best I can do is to formulate a few vague 'If / Then' scenarios.

Last week, Trent's wedding ring would no longer stay on his finger.  I asked him if he wanted me to wrap it with tape so it would stay on.  He handed it back to me and told me he didn't need it.  I had tried to mentally prepare myself for the fact that I would need to remove his ring at some point, but I was totally unprepared for him to hand it back to me.  It was hard.

Yesterday, there was a marked increase in Trent's level of fatigue and weakness. 

I think one of the hardest things I deal with is not knowing exactly where we are in this journey.  It requires me to continually surrender myself to the timeline that God has for us.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating:  The greatest comfort through all of the uncertainties that we have been through has been knowing, without a doubt, that God is in control and that He has a plan for our lives and that He loves us and will work His plan in His time.  Daily we see God's goodness to us.  He continues to provide for our needs and shows us His love through those who He has placed in our lives.

We appreciate your prayers for us as we continue our journey.

2 comments:

  1. Your emphasis on God's goodness magnifies the Lord. May He bring you even greater peace because you are trusting in Him. Poignant blog. Love and prayers, Sis Francie
    Isa. 26:3-4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth! You do not know me, however we have mutual friends on Facebook who had asked friends to pray for your dear family. Just wanted to let you know that I think of you often and check back to your blog for updates and prayer requests! We are praying for you all!!

    I truly believe that the road in life that you are currently walking cannot really be understood by anyone who has not walked it. While I have not walked that road with my husband, we did walk a very difficult road with my dad, very unexpectedly, just this past summer that ended in his going home to be with his precious Savior in heaven!! I have experienced how God gives His perfect grace for His child who is left here on this earth to press on without their loved one by their side. God doesn't just pour out His grace all at one time, or ahead of time,but He continually delivers it, just as we need it, in His perfect way! I know God will do the same for you, because you are trusting, not just in His grace and love for you, His precious child, but also in His perfect sovereignty! Our ways are not His ways, which is often very difficult to understand on this side of heaven, but we can know and trust that God IS always, ALWAYS good! I am thankful for your testimony and obvious trust in our Savior! Please know that many are praying for you! Some, like me, who have never even met you or your precious family! The Lord will take care of you, your husband, and your children, and like you stated in your post, you can't always know His timeline, but I am thankful that it's always perfect! And actually a relief in many ways, that He will take care of things and we are not in charge of certain decisions!

    Thank you for sharing your journey with others, I truly believe that helps you as you make this part of your journey, as well as others, maybe even someone who is unsaved and is seeking for something greater! May they be lead to the Savior through your sweet testimony!

    Praying for you!

    Jessica Cusano
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

    ReplyDelete